Saturday 29 March 2014

The Maze Runner by James Dashner- Review





This book was a highly anticipated read for me because I've heard so much about it, and it's even being made into a film. This shows just how popular it is, so when I saw this on the Book Trade part of bookblogging.net, I had to get it. 


When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He's surrounded by strangers--boys whose memories are also gone.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It's the only way out--and no one's ever made it through alive.
From Goodreads


6186357

At the start of the story, I couldn't put it down. I was literally reading on and on until I was forced to stop. The pace was really fast and in the first 40 pages so much happened. Thomas is such a great character. He's really brave and daring and faces the problems that he encounters really well. I also loved Newt as a character because he was very honest, which could sometimes be funny, and was always good to read.

Towards the middle of the book, I felt like the story didn't really progress for a little while. This made my reading slower, but it soon picked up after more twists and turns in the story. All the way through the book you're constantly wondering what the maze is and why it's there, and this makes the book so, so interesting. So, as the characters find out clues, or something changes, it gets even more intriguing. I think that because we know as little as the characters do about the maze, it makes us want to read on.

Overall, the way the book was written was great to read, and the plot itself is so different to anything I've read before. I loved how all of the boys in the Glade worked so hard and were so determined, and how they carried on always. I haven't read anything like it before, and this meant that I enjoyed it even more.

The end of the book is properly great! The twist at the end is brilliant, and I didn't even know there were two other books, so I need to get them reallyyyyyy soon! If anyone has read them them let me know if they're as good as the first book!


2 comments: