Wednesday 13 August 2014

The Bunker Diary by Kevin Brooks- Review





I went on holiday to Devon, which is why I havent posted for a while, but while I was there I read The Bunker Diary and I can't even explain how much I recommend it.

This is the first Kevin Brooks book I've read but now I definitely want to read more of his work, as I enjoyed The Bunker Diary so much! 
"I can't believe I fell for it.


It was still dark when I woke up this morning.



As soon as my eyes opened I knew where I was.



A low-ceilinged rectangular building made entirely of whitewashed concrete.



There are six little rooms along the main corridor.



There are no windows. No doors. The lift is the only way in or out.



What's he going to do to me?



What am I going to do?



If I'm right, the lift will come down in five minutes.



It did. Only this time it wasn't empty . . ."- From Goodreads



I thought I would enjoy this book because of how much I LOVED Room by Emma Donoghue, and this book is a similar concept, although when you read more you realise it is different in a lot of ways too. So, if you enjoyed Room, you'd probably like The Bunker Diary, too.

The story starts straight away as a diary written by someone who has somehow been kidnapped and locked away. Personally, I love books set out as diaries, so this made it even better. Throughout the book, you get to read what is happening and Linus's thoughts. Linus is the main character who is writing the diary himself, and as a character he is great- funny, honest, interesting, smart. Kevin Brooks writes in a way that makes it believable that this is a real person's diary who has really been locked away and has no idea what has happened and what will. The other characters were all amazing too, because the way they were portrayed always seemed believable and true.

This book also makes you want to know what the hell is happening because it's not just a kidnap, but a really elaborate set up and it seems crazy and creepy and you just want to know why and how and who and what and when and ahhhhh so many questions!

I'm not going to give anything away, but if you've read this book, you'll know what I mean when i say THE ENDING THO??!!!?!??! Thanks, Kevin Brooks, thanks a lot. Strangely though, I liked the ending. I thought it was really realistic and not sugar coated, which sometime YA books can be.

I would recommend this book to older readers, maybe from 13-14 onwards, as there are some really sad and upsetting parts, and the Bunker Diary is perfect for people who like stories that are a bit different.


4/5




No comments:

Post a Comment