Tuesday 14 January 2014

Whole Divergent Trilogy- By Veronica Roth Review





I wanted to write a review for the Divergent stories as a whole, rather than separately, mainly because you're probably going to read all three and not just one book from the trilogy. Unless you are a superhuman who is immune to wondering what will happen next, but mainly immune to...feels. I reviewed Divergent on it's own because as it's the first book, you need to see if you're going to like that to start with! You can read that here. Finished reading that? Okay...

To sum up the trilogy, I'll have to start with how it begins, so this is the summary of Divergent from Goodreads:
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. 

The story develops throughout the next two books after Beatrice has made her choice. In Insurgent, Beatrice becomes even stronger than before, making decisions which will change not only her life, but so many others. There is drama and action through all three books, meaning that I was hooked and literally couldn't wait until I was on to the next book. Insurgent features a lot of twists and turns and when you add all of these things together, I think that an amazing Dystopia is born.

Veronica Roth has created a world in her stories that is described so brilliantly that I feel that if you gave me a piece of paper, I could draw a map of it. Her characters- while ever changing and introducing more- are so strong and so easy to imagine. I loved that Tris was an awesome character because unlike other female characters in books, she was strong in her own right. She had an angry side to her which gave her more character and made me like her a lot, which I sometimes don't with the whiney female characters that are way too common. But oh my gosh, can I just talk about Four for a second... FOUR! He was my favourite character for definite, not only because I fell in love with him, but also because he was broken but carried on. Th way he had gone through a lot but wasn't as hardened from it as he thought. Something about the little things he says and does made me adore this character.


And then, there was Allegiant. The book that is notorious for it's mixed reviews and split opinions. I was apprehensive to read this, fearing that I would hate it, but I guess that all I can say was that I was just a tiny bit... disappointed, I guess. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. I don't want to give it away but I just didn't think the ending was very strong. Although what happened was shocking, I just thought that an alternative ending would have pleased me a lot more. Maybe I was just too hopeful. But, obviously, there are people who loved Allegiant so, so much, so I think its just a personal view really. If you disagree, let me know why! I would like to have my opinion changed. :) This hasn't made me dislike the trilogy at all though, because I still think that the rest of the story and previous books were AMAZING!

Out of all of the books, Divergent was my favourite. It was such a great story line, and being the first book, it opened up a trilogy which I knew I was going to be addicted to. I met the characters for the first time, the characters that I grew to love. Overall, this has been one of my favourite trilogies, has given me my all time favourite character (Four <3) and has made me want to re-read it again.
Buy the books.        



So, I'm going to give it 5/5, despite THAT ENDING. I still loved it and would recommend it to every Dystopian fan. A must-read.

No comments:

Post a Comment