Friday 3 January 2014

Divergent by Veronica Roth- Review

This was in my stocking at Christmas which I was so pleased about! I literally wanted to start reading it straight away and after all the Christmas excitement, a couple of days later, I read this book in just a day and a bit. This was such an anticipated read for me and it was even on my Wanting to Read List which you can read here. And it didn't disappoint.

Divergent (Divergent, #1)
Divergent is set in a world where everyone has their own place in a faction. These factions are: Dauntless- for the brave, Abnegation- for the selfless, Amity- for those seeking peace, Candor- honesty and Erudite- knowledge. At 16, the residents of this dystopian Chicago have to decide which faction they will enter and therefore spend the rest of their lives devoted to. Beatrice has a tough decision because while she doesn't want to leave her family, she knows that Abnegation is not where she belongs. When she chooses her faction she is faced with an initiation that is tougher than she imagined she would be able to cope with. She also has a secret that she wants to keep, for her own safety.

The best thing about this book for me is the plot which is very strong and the whole story is so fast paced. There are no parts in it which I found boring and no parts in which I wanted to stop reading at. Action is on nearly every page. Also, I really liked the way that the book was written because it was easy to read but in a really great way with some lovely phrases and words that I want to use myself. I think that this book is everything a Dystopia should be- full of excitement and thrilling plots. This has definitely got to be one of my favourite books that I've read for a while.

For anyone who is prepared to fall in love with another book and who is prepared for the feels, this book will be perfect for you! The characters are likeable and- where appropriate- loathe-able. Also, I thought that the thing Veronica Roth did best was describe settings. With every new place the characters entered, I had the most clear image of it in my head and could imagine it being so real which I love to happen in stories.

I think that this book would be good for 13 ears and onwards because adults love Divergent too. Buy it here. P.S. if you enjoy it, but Insurgent (2nd in the trilogy) as soon as you can because you will want to carry on reading!
 5/5

1 comment: